Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Teriyaki sauce



I will never buy teriyaki sauce from the grocery store again. That is a promise I made to myself after making this teriyaki sauce recipe. It is the easiest, tastiest sauce.

I got this recipe from my mother in law's copy of the Our Best Bites cookbook. It's a GREAT cookbook. Might add it to my Christmas list this year. That, and a new couch. Take note, Santa. Their website is full of delicious things to make.

I double this recipe when I make it so that I have extra on hand in the refrigerator. I just put sauce in a mason jar in the the fridge and reheat it or use it as a marinade.

TERIYAKI SAUCE, makes 1 1/2 cups

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce (*I use reduced sodium soy sauce)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced (*I use refrigerated pre-minced garlic from a jar, don't hate me)
1/2 tsp ground ginger (*I use refrigerated ground ginger from a jar, not sure if its supposed to be dried ground ginger?)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp water

1. Combine sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger and pepper in saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Whisk together cornstarch and water. Once soy sauce mixture has come to a full boil, whisk in cornstarch and stir until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and cool.

We use this sauce for chicken teriyaki bowls so we serve it while it's still hot on top of our chicken, but you can jar it up and refrigerate once it cools. It also makes for a great marinade for grilling. Never buying teriyaki sauce again. Say it with me people!

No comments:

Post a Comment