Monday, September 12, 2011

Shredded mexican chicken + enchilada bake


This recipe comes from Picky-Palate. It's a great website for practical, delicious recipes that even picky little kids will enjoy. YES, PLEASE! This recipe is great because it's stuff I usually have on hand, and it's not a ton of work to make.

I make shredded mexican chicken in a crock pot the day that I'm going to make the enchilada casserole. I usually make more chicken than the casserole recipe calls for and save it for tacos or quesadillas later in the week. Here's all I do for the chicken, and I have no idea where I learned this method/recipe. Been making it this way for years...

SHREDDED CROCK POT MEXICAN CHICKEN
1 1/2-3 lbs boneless skinless breast
3 tbsp taco seasoning (I make my own using a recipe much like this one, 3 tbsp is about the equivalent to a packet of store-boughttaco seasoning)
1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup salsa (any kind you like, picante sauce works too)

Place chicken in crock pot, sprinkle with taco seasoning and cumin. Pour salsa and chicken broth over top. Cook on low 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours. Shred and serve.

CHICKEN & BLACK BEAN GREEN ENCHILADA BAKE, serves 6-8
2 cups white long grain rice
2 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
One 15-ounce can mild green enchilada sauce
One 4-ounce can sliced black olives *(I omitted this, no olive lovers in this house)
One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup sour cream *(I use fat free sour cream- use whatever fat content you like)
1 teaspoon kosher salt *(I omit b/c I've already seasoned the chicken thoroughly)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper *("" "" )
1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Roasted Ground Cumin *("" "")
One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese*(I use a reduced fat mexican blend- use whatever fat content you like)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Cook rice according to package directions.
3. Place chicken, enchilada sauce, olives, tomatoes, sour cream, salt, pepper and cumin into a large bowl, mixing to combine. Pour cooked rice into prepared baking dish and layer beans on top of rice. Pour chicken mixture over rice and top evenly with cheddar cheese. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until cheese is melted and rice is hot.

*We eat ours with crumbled tortilla chips on top as well, just to add a little salty crunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment