Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Banana [chocolate chip] bread


We never eat bananas fast enough in this house, so instead of tossing a couple out the other day, I made banana bread. And I sprinkled chocolate chips on top because...it was Tuesday and I felt like it.

The recipe I use is from SkinnyTaste . Love her recipes, it's one of my go-to sites. I made one loaf, so I halved the original recipe.

* = additions/changes that I made from the original recipe

LOW FAT BANANA BREAD (with chocolate chips)
3 ripe medium bananas, mashed
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, softened (I use Land O Lakes light butter w/ canola oil. Cuts down on the fat, and it hasn't effected any of my baking thus far)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
*2 eggs (original recipe calls for 2 large egg whites, but I toss in the whole egg)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 oz chopped walnuts (I omitted)
*handful semisweet chocolate chips
baking spray

Preheat oven to 325°. Grease 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk.

In a large bowl cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg, bananas, apple sauce and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick.

Add flour mixture and blend at low speed until combined. Do not over mix.

Pour batter into loaf pan, and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Let the pan cool at least 20 minutes, bread should be room temperature before slicing.

Note: This bread freezes beautifully! When I do make the full original recipe, I always toss the other loaf in the freezer. It thaws out in a few hours when you're ready to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment