Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Lightened up Fettucine Alfredo

A friend of mine raved about a recipe she made for Chicken Alfredo, wherein you used greek yogurt in place of heavy cream. I couldn't remember the last time I'd even had alfredo sauce since changing my diet! So I found a recipe by Rocco Dispirito for a light fettucine alfredo, and went to work.

This recipe was incredibly easy and I had most of the ingredients on hand. I grilled some chicken and added it on top. Mixing in some broccoli or peas would be a nice way to get in extra veggies.

Sorry, again, I didn't get a picture!

LIGHT FETTUCINE ALFREDO, recipe adapted from Rocco DiSpirito
8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine **big top secret: I don't like whole wheat pasta! I subbed regular pasta. Shh...
1 tablespoon butter
2-3 garlic cloves, minced (*Note: I used 3 fresh cloves and it was too much garlic, stick with 2)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Pinch of ground nutmeg
3/4 cup low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
3/4 cup 5 percent Greek yogurt (*I used fat free greek yogurt and it was still plenty rich and tasty)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add fettuccine; cook according to package directions.

While pasta cooks, melt butter in a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook two minutes.

Combine cornstarch and nutmeg in a small bowl; whisk in chicken broth until smooth. Pour into saute pan, raise the heat, and bring sauce to a simmer, whisking occasionally.

Whisk in 1/2 cup of the cheese until melted. Remove pan from heat.
Whisk in yogurt until smooth.

Toss fettuccine with Alfredo sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Top pasta with remaining cheese. Serves four.

No comments:

Post a Comment